Located about 8 miles (13 km) south of Portland and surrounding the 405-acre (1.64 km2
) Oswego Lake. Settled in the 1850s on the site of a Clackamas Indian encampment, it was called Oswego (later renamed Lake Oswego) and serves mainly as a residential suburb of Portland. Many of its older neighborhoods are built in the Tudor Revival and English Cottage styles popular in the 1920s. Marylhurst University, founded in 1893 as a Roman Catholic women’s college—Saint Mary’s Academy and College—in downtown Portland, was renamed and moved to its present location just south of the city in 1930. The city was the hub of Oregon’s brief iron industry in the late 19th century and is today an affluent suburb of Portland. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 36,619, a 3.8% increase over the 2000 population of 35,278.
Today, Lake Oswego is home to attractions such as the George Rogers Park.